I know this is nothing to do with illustration, but if I don’t put this here I’ll never remember…. This is for backpack-type camping where you carry everything with you (rather than loading up the car)…
- Walking stick. I always think I don’t need this, then by the end of the first day I’m walking round with a branch like an off-brand Gandalf.
- Broad-brim hat. I tried a baseball cap and my neck got very burnt.
- Shoes that fit really well. Last time I had decent hiking boots but they were too big, got horrible blisters. I’m sure shoes that are too small would be pretty bad too. You’re better off with trainers that fit than professional hiking boots that don’t.
- Waterproof jacket
- Water bottle (not too big), you can get ones with built in filters now.
- Chocolate, energy bars, fruit (for a short trip).
- Camera and batteries.
- Mobile phone.
- Emergency whistle.
- Notebook and biro.
- Change of clothes – waterproof for daytime, fleece for night-time (once stationary). Even for a two day hike, it’s better to get into a clean, dry t-shirt than the cold, wet, sweaty one from the day before.
- Sleeping bag and bed sheet
- Inflatable pillow
- Self-inflating mattress
- Torches! Including headlamp and hand torch, nothing worse than being stuck in the dark with a torch that doesn’t work.
- Decent knife. Friend had a really good Leatherman one.
- Toothbrush, toothpaste, soap
- Toilet paper and wetwipes
- MP3 player.
- Sun cream and after-sun lotion
- Anti-septic (alcohol) wipes
- Rehydration powder
- Gauze pads and tape along with regular band-aids
- Thermos and Chinese tea
- Cup, bowl, cutlery, chopsticks
- Gas stove, gas bottles, lighter, waterproof matches
- Coffee, metal coffee maker
- Fresh ginger and brown sugar for ginger tea. This is so damn good after a day of walking.
- Dehydrated food (instant noodles?).
- Rubbish bags. Not just for rubbish also general storage.